Saturday, June 26, 2010

World Cup 2010 - Day 15 (R16 - 1)


In a match that could have gone either way, Uruguay edged past South Korea on a fantastic strike from Luis Suarez. Both teams were obviously afraid to push "all out", and whenever the Asians came closed, Muslera (one of my favorite keepers in the tournament so far) was "on".

The big negative in the game (although everyone expected Uruguay to play their typical defensive game...which they did, but not in a negative fashion [hard to explain that one, but I hope you get my gist]) was the actual pitch itself. Deplorable for a FIFA sponsored tournament at this level...

On the US game, I'll be [uncharacteristically] brief. If the US ever want to consider themselves 'able' to sit at the big table with the strong teams they need to:
  • Finish chances when they come along (I don't think Ghana had more than 3, but scored twice; US had at least 4-5 chances...)
  • Defend like their life depends on it (watch some tapes from the Uruguay game)
  • 'Leave it all' on the field... it just never 'felt' like they wanted it bad enough...or gave 100% percent [despite what the football-illiterate pundits will tell you]
So in the end, US still has a lot to learn when it comes to this competition. The 'come from behind story' can only work so many times... I know the media will make a big deal of their performance, but if you put things in perspective, the England tie was LUCKY, the game against Slovenia a good comeback, but the Algeria game was another example of poor finishing...

With Ghana, Bradley [inexplicably] went to Ricardo Clark AGAIN, although he was part of the reason why we went down 2 goals at halftime against Slovenia. WHY??? He duly lost the ball in midfield, contributing to the first goal from Ghana. Luckily, he recognized his error 31 minutes later... But that was only part of the problem... Like a good friend of mine says: 'it's all we can [d0] at this point in time'.

I partially agree with that statement... but I know the talent and capability is there... I've seen it before. It just never looked that they wanted it bad enough. Slow to react (most of the 50-50 balls went the Africans' way) and uninspired up front, while the defense was off their game.

Anyway...I should stop before doing any irreparable damage. My blog picture today is in accordance with my mood... I think I'll be better off drowning my sorrow in the beer-filled cooler on the porch outside...

I just hope Spain does not let me down like this...

PS - I should not take anything away from the Africans. But they were not that good today...it's just that the US were not better...

No comments:

Post a Comment